Saturday, April 24, 2010

The boy in the striped pyjamas

I really do not understand how this book became movie status? I love reading fictional interpretations of WWII and having visited Auchwitz myself, i expected more from this novel.

The author writes from the point of view of a young boy, so the language used is in line with the narrator, however its not the most interesting tale. As an account of the little boy being a Nazi soldiers's son, and his interactions with a POW, this book may have been better developed as a picture book. It felt more like a short story, and I think it took me an hour or so to read. Yes I cried, but theres rarely a book that doesnt invoke tears in me.

If you want a quick, easy, no brainer read... go for it, otherwise try Marion Keyes. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment